Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have this feeling between my breasts, like something big…

Customer Question
Hi. I have...

Hi. I have this feeling between my breasts, like something big is stuck in my chest. It is uncomfortable when I lie down to try to go to sleep.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

Probably about a week. I haven

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Haven't been sick. I am taking Cipralex each day for depression. I take nighttime benadryl to help me sleep each night because I am in menopause and hot flashes make it hard for me to stay asleep at night.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed a case of mild reflux or GERD, the fact that you have abnormal sensations between your breasts which worsens on lying down, which is classic for reflux, does indicate that this is likely tobe the problem. Also many patients upto 70% can present without the typical heartburn like symptoms of reflux, most patients indicate that they have heaviness or pain which is dull in character in the chest. Now if this is the case then it is likely to be due to the cipralex that you are on and also due to stress pr anxiety or even due to the menopause that you are undergoing. This would be diagnosed with the help of a clinical examination however at the same time it can be treated with various measures. The first one which comes to mind is that you should start elevating the head of the bed at night by 30 degrees, eliminate alcohol and caffeine from your diet, eat less fried and fatty foods, eat more vegetables and fruits and also start using OTC prilosec at a dose of 10 mg twice daily. Also eat your last meal atleast 3-4 hours before bedtime and also eat 4-5 small meals a day rather than 3 large meals.

These measures should help and if they dont then you should get this evaluated for an infection in the stomach known as H.pyroli.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.