Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can Polyethyleene Glycol 3350 Powd drink be taken with Senna…

Customer Question
Can Polyethyleene Glycol 3350...

Can Polyethyleene Glycol 3350 Powd drink be taken with Senna for constipation ?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Tamsulosin Hcl and Micardi and Senna and stool softener. Yes I have seen a doctor about my constipation

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer.I amCustomerand your complete satisfaction is my goal.

Both are different types of laxatives.
Polyethylene glycol 3350 is an osmotic laxative. It means that it tends to retain water in the intestine increasing the bulk and softness of stools and causing bowel movements.
Senna on the other hand is a stimulant laxative. It means that it increases the motility of the intestine and thereby relieves constipation. Because of their different mechanism of action the different how fast they can induce bowel movement.Senna is a faster acting laxative inducing bowel movements in 6 to 12 hours why polyethylene glycol 3350 induces bowel movements in 1 to 2 days.
They can be used together as they have different time frame and different mechanism of action.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.