Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am concerned because I have had weird itching on the right…

Customer Question
Hi. I am concerned because...
Hi. I am concerned because I have had weird itching on the right side of my throat as well as tickling. Also when I swallow it sometimes is hard and it feels like something is stuck in my throat. This began yesterday. I am worried.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer.I amCustomerand your complete satisfaction is my goal.

Ok. Hello. Btw I have allergies could this be a factor?
I am just very stressed.

Thanks for your question.

I need some more information.

What is your age?

Do you have any sneezing or running nose?

What exactly are you worried about?

I am 19. I have sneezing occasionally but the problem is my throat. This started yesterday while I was laying in bed the left side of my throat feels itchy/ scratchy and it feels like there is something inside that is stuck.
When I swallowed yesterday it was difficult but not too bad. Today not that bad. I checked for swelling and there hasn’t been any.
I keep touching my neck.
I am thinking that it might be coming from my bedroom because recently I took out my closet doors and there is a lot of dust and mold I believe.
What should I do?

Thanks for your reply.

These symptoms are likely to be due to pharyngitis that is inflammation of the lining of the pharynx.The most common cause is a viral infection which causes the common cold.

Being allergic, allergies can also cause this issue.In most cases, it would resolve on its own without any medical intervention.

If you feel very symptomatic warm saline gargles and use of anti inflammatory medicines like Advil should help.

Off course avoiding any allergens like dust and mold is advisable.

Could it be cancer because I am very nervous.
It is very itchy and I am very annoyed because I keep touching my neck.

This is not cancer.You should not even think about it as there is nothing to suggest cancer.

Pharyngitis can cause a lot of discomfort and taking measures I suggested above should help this discomfort and itching.

Because this just started yesterday and a few days ago I did have a runny nose happen so quick when I was outside.

There is nothing to suggest cancer here.Absolutely no symptom.

Please try what I have suggested and I assure you that you will start feeling better.

Please control your anxiety.

Can I take ibuprofen?

Yes, you can.That should decrease the inflammation and the symptoms you have.

Should I take 800 mg? Is that safe?

You can take 800mg but I would recommend using 600mg every 8 hours.

Is 200 mg fine since it is not that severe?

200mg is too small a dose for an adult and would not be effective in relieving symptoms.

What about 400?

Yes, you may use 400mg.You may repeat it after 4 hours.

Okay I appreciate your help. Thank You!!

Thanks and best of luck.Do remember to rate my answer.

Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor