Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I been having pressure under my ribcage for awhile. It all…

Customer Question
I been having pressure...

I been having pressure under my ribcage for awhile

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

It all started after i had a triple bypass in jan

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am bloted all the time and when i eat it feels like it just sits under the ribcage I have diasaloic heart failure

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for sometime, so ill quickly answer this question for you. Well pressure under the rib cage can be due to a number of conditions. The first one which comes to mind is that this pressure could be due to the stomach which means that it could be due to inflammation inside the stomach which is know as gastritis. This can occur because of stress and anxiety as well as infections like H.pyroli. This would be diagnosed on a clinical examination and then treated with simple medications like OTC prilosec at a dose of 10 mg twice daily. In addition cutting back on caffeine and alcohol would also be beneficial here.

Another cause of this could be associated with the gallbladder as well. Gallbladdervdysfunction can cause pressure in this region of the abdomen and this would be diagnosed with the help of a ultrasound and if necessary with the help of a simple HIDA scan as well. Another cause can be associated with teh pancreas. You could have developed mild inflammation of the pancreas in a condition known as chronic pancreatitis. This would be diagnosed with the helpf of a simple Ct scan of the abdomen.

Now i would suggest that you have your doctor consider these possibilities and if they are ruled out then also consider rechecking your heart as sometimes pressure under the ribcage can be due to the heart as well. This would be diagnosed with the help of a echocardiogram and if necessary a CT angiogram.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.