Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm noticing my left foot has slight numbness on the bottom…

Customer Question
Hello - I'm noticing...

Hello - I'm noticing my left foot has slight numbness on the bottom of the foot, on the left side of the foot.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just the left side of the foot. Two days ago, I noticed my left thigh, also has had a different feel to it. It's hard to describe, but basically on the back side of my thigh, about half way up my thigh, to the left side of the back of my thigh. It doesn't hurt, but it almost feels like my leg was losing the circulation when sitting in a specific chair at work. When I stood up and walked around it resolved, except for in the spot on the thigh.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling, nothing makes it worse or better, I don't think.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I am almost done with my typing I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

I see you have been having new onset numbness in the left foot (in the bottom area and on the left side of the foot), and you also recently had new symptoms in the left thigh as well – as you have mentioned above.

Please see these type of symptoms are not diagnostic for any one particular condition, rather there are few different conditions that all can cause these types of symptoms and please find below a list of such conditions that can cause these types of symptoms you are having in one leg;

Damage to the tibial nerve

Damage to the sciatic nerve

Pinched spinal nerve in the lower spine (which could be secondary to disc, arthritis etc)

Circulation problems affecting the leg

Thyroid disease

Vitamin deficiencies etc

I am not telling all these above possibilities are applicable in your case, I am trying to provide you with a list like this because these are the various possibilities we see in our clinic when someone presents with the type of symptoms you have mentioned above

First of all, you may wait and watch for few more days since many times these are due to reversible conditions and symptoms resolve after few days. But if symptoms persist then this needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for these new onset symptoms. In this regard you may try to see your clinic doctors, preferably a neurologist so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too - that may include an MRI scan of the spine, EMG/Nerve conduction study of the left leg– which is a nerve & muscle test, certain specific blood tests, a circulation study of the left leg, and any other tests as necessary and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

In the meantime you may try one or more of the following treatments that can help you with getting relief from these symptoms, and also prevent further worsening;

Try to avoid strenuous activities involving the left leg

You may try to o some gentle exercises, if you wish, but not anything strenuous including running, jogging, lifting weight etc

You may massage the left leg

Heat and cold therapy in the form of hot or cold compresses

Epsom salt compress

If the above are not sufficiently helping then you may require one or more of the below mentioned additional treatments;

Physical therapy

Nerve-pain pills such as Gabapentin which can help with numbness too

Electrotherapies like TENS or Interferential therapy

Ultrasound therapy

Diathermy

Laser therapy etc

I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are few different conditions that can cause the types of new symptoms you are having, as mentioned in the above list

2) If this persists please try to see your doctors, preferably a neurologist in the clinic so that this can be examined and investigated further and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results

3) In the meantime you may consider trying one or more of the above mentioned treatments and these can help in obtaining relief from the symptoms, and help in preventing further worsening too

And please see the presence of above mentioned type of symptoms do not automatically point towards some serious health conditions, there are many benign non-serious health conditions too causing these types of symptoms, so please not to be scared. And an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure, so if these symptoms persist then please try to get this further evaluated and investigated as mentioned above, for the best results!

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)