Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My father is 79 years old and he take cumadin. He just told…

Customer Question
My father is 79...

My father is 79 years old and he take cumadin. He just told me he has seen bright red blood in his urine all week. Today he experienced a burning sensation. He will not allow me to take him to the emergency room but insist on waiting until Monday morning to go to the doctor. What should I do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

He said all week. He is experiencing back pain, which leads me to believe it maybe his kidney. He has a urologist because of his enlarged prostrate.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has an enlarge prostrate. He has high blood pressure which has been controlled by his medications and is consistently good.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 10 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

He might either have a prostate infection or he may be passing a kidney stone with this

But it could also be a sign of bladder polyps or kidney or bladder cancer

In any case it needs evaluation with an exam, urinalysis, prostate exam, and a ct scan of the abdomen and pelvis

But none of those would be an emergency situation so it's OK for him to wait to see his doctor until Monday

Please let me know if you need any more information