Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I think I saw black blood in my stool but I'm not sure. It…

Customer Question
I think I saw black...
I think I saw black blood in my stool but I'm not sure. It looked liquidity but wasn't there when I wiped. I also had a black spot yesterday but that looked more solid. How can I tell if something's blood or a food speck? I really can't tell. I have no other symptoms. This has happened on and off but never for more than a couple days consistently. I am really confused. I am not sure if it's bleeding, food, or me over analyzing. Feces are hard to evaluate
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. RK, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor

Dear customer,

If you are in doubt then you should have the tests done like cbc, stool for occult blood after consulting your doctor.The treatment depends on the cause.

The piles are frequently associated with painless bleeding and should be ruled out.

Let me know here if you have any doubt.

Please rate me positive if you are satisfied with my service.

Thank you

Piles? also i had a cbc in august and it was perfect
The blackness has gotten better and has never been too much. Just now I saw a tiny speck. when should I worry about stomach cancer?

Dear customer,

There are various reason of the black stools and it is due to the charring of the blood in the gi tract.You may have the stool for the occult blood test done to be sure whether it is blood or not.

If it comes out to be blood then the test like sonography of the abdomen, mri of the abdomen and endoscopy may be done to know the cause according to the test report.The treatment depends on the underlying cause

Let me know here if you have any doubt.

Thank you

What foods could be causing this? If it goes away on its own temporarily should I even get it tested?
Are there nondietary causes for temporary blackness? Can i tell if its blood without a test?

Dear customer,

The drugs such as aspirin, anticoagulants , NSAIDS that may cause intestinal bleeding, and bismuth medicines cause black stool.The foods such as eating liquorice or blueberries, iron rich beef, kidney beans, and iron supplementation and lot of junk foods may also cause black stools.

The medical conditions, for example, gastritis, gastric or duodenal ulcer, bleeding oesophageal varices may also cause black stools.

Let me know here if you have any doubt.

Thank you

I ate kidney beans yesterday and today. That may be it. Could dietary changes cause black blood in stool or just black solid specks?

Dear customer,

Yes, the dietary changes may cause balck stools due to the high iron content and it is due to the effect of iron which is imparting such colour to faeces and in that case you should not worry at all.

Let me know here if you have any doubt.

Thank you