Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Last month I was in a car accident and on my leg i suffered…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi last...

Second opinion] Hi last month I was in a car accident and on my leg i suffered tissue damage which resulted in a soft tissue hematoma as well a cut on my leg. The swelling for the hematoma has gone down and the cut is fairly healed but there is a foul odor coming from the cut which leads me to believe an infection has grown in my leg. What should I do?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

The swelling fluctuates but the cut has reduced in size. I put neospirin on it and there is like a red orange drainage coming from it.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that i'm aware of how much is it overall

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. RK, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor

Dear customer,

If there is foul smell coming from the cut then the chances of infection might be there and in that case appropriate antibiotics should be taken based on c/s report.You should have the fluid sent for culture/sensitivity.The causative organism should be covered with appropriate antibiotics.

Let me know here if you have any doubt.

Please rate me positive if you are satisfied with my answer.

thank you

I've been using neospirin on the area for a while now and it's shrinking in size and when i talked to my doctors office they told me that the leakage was normal.

Dear customer,

The foul smell may be associated with infection.Though you are using the neosporin ointment , it will help in controlling the infection.The slight watery discharge is associated with the wound which is the serum and its normal.But if the discharge is associated with pus and foul smell then secondary bacterial infection may be present which should be treated with appropriate antibiotic drugs and ointments.The oral antibiotics may be taken in some cases for severe infection.

Let me know here if you have any doubt.

thank you