Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

The bottom of my left foot aches. Mostly at the heel. I

Customer Question
The bottom of my...

The bottom of my left foot aches. Mostly at the heel. I bought a pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts for my sneakers after putting my feet on their foot reading pads at CVS drug store 3 weeks ago. Condition better but my heel is still sore. Could this be Plantar Fascitis?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

About 3 months. Resting the foot by lying down eases the pain. I do walk a lot carrying boxes because we have moved out of state and are "downsizing" My wife and I are in are late seventies in age.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've been in pretty good shape physically. No replaced parts. I sail competitively in regattas in the summer, walk the dog on the beach a lot, etc.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it does sound like that you may have developed a mild case of plantar fasiciitis which is a condition in which the soft tissue of the sole of the foot is inflamed. This can sometimes remain restricted to the heel of the foot.

Now this can be diagnosed on the basis of a clinical examination and also with the help of a simple xray to rule out any bony protusions in the heel. Now if necessary we can also get an ultrasound of the area done.

The treatment of this condition can involve using anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily or even aleve. if that does not work then you may use steroid injections to bring down the inflammation. There are other options here as well such as,

• Physical therapy. A physical therapist can instruct you in a series of exercises to stretch the plantar fascia and Achilles tendon and to strengthen lower leg muscles, which stabilize your ankle and heel. A therapist might also teach you to apply athletic taping to support the bottom of your foot.
  • Night splints. Your physical therapist or doctor might recommend that you wear a splint that stretches your calf and the arch of your foot while you sleep. This holds the plantar fascia and Achilles tendon in a lengthened position overnight and facilitates stretching.
  • Orthotics. Which can be prescribed and fit your foot in a certain manner so that the pain is reduced.
  • Extracorporeal shock wave therapy. In this procedure, sound waves are directed at the area of heel pain to stimulate healing. It's usually used for chronic plantar fasciitis that hasn't responded to more-conservative treatments
  • Tenex procedure. This minimally invasive procedure removes the scar tissue of plantar fasciitis without surgery.

I would suggest that have this evaluated but do start the anti inflammatory medications.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.