Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been hallucinating smells for awhile now- I thought…

Customer Question
I have been hallucinating...

I have been hallucinating smells for awhile now- I thought they were connected to my migraines but I haven’t had migraines in 2 months and am still hallucinating burning and blood smells pretty regularly

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausea. It’s not daily...maybe once or twice a week. Lasts for about 10 min. It’s very strong when it happens

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

When I have a very bad migraine about 8 Months ago I went to the ER and they did an iodine contrast and looked at my brain. Said they saw a congenial defect- one of the major arteries that starts at the base of my brain the shorter on one side. They said blood flow was fine ...my twin has the same thing.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
9/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

what meds do you take if any?

I don’t take any meds except maybe half a .5 Valium once in a while for muscle spasms. They actually gave them to me originally for the headaches. Said they were muscular migraines
I’m just concerned about the odd smells. This has only been happening for a little over a year.
Can I expect a reply? It’s been almost 30 minutes.
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Please mention your age and gender. Have you had any respiratory tract infections or sinuses infections in the past ?

No infections... I’m am a 25yr old female.

Smelling something which isnt quite there is called olfactory hallucination (phantosmia) . Odors detected in phantosmia vary from person to person and may be foul or pleasant. They can occur in one or both nostrils. The phantom smell may seem to always be present or it may come and go.

Phantosmia may occur after a head injury or upper respiratory infection. It can also be caused by temporal lobe seizures, inflamed sinuses, brain tumors and Parkinson's disease.

Have you had a brain CT or MRI done ever in the past ? Have your headaches been evaluated for the cause? Sinusitis is very common cause of chronic headaches so i would definitely want a CT on your head and paranasal sinuses to rule out sinus infection.

This could be the cause of your symptoms.

Other causes mentioned above seem less likely at your age with absence of any other significant complaint.

I hopeit helped.

Let me know if you have any further query

I get really bad migraines and 8 months ago went to the Er and they did a iodine contrast and scan of my brain

Actually brain scan is different to scan on paranasal sinuses. So if you could get that done, it might help us ruling out one important cause. Other causes include temporal lobe involvement but it would need a more thorough examination / workup before labeling it that way

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Family Physician, Doctor