Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I got back from India about 5 days ago. I haven't been

Customer Question
feeling good the last 3...
I got back from India about 5 days ago. I haven't been feeling good the last 3 days. Some of my friends that I traveled with have worse symptoms and just ended up at hospital. I haven't heard back on their results but I'm wondering if I should go in too? I started taking the anti malaria pills the day I left. Technically I was supposed to start them a few weeks before my trip but the pharmacist said to go ahead because it is probably better than to not. I have been extremely nauseous, I have aches everywhere but it is especially painful in my chest and my left side. I haven't eaten much because it makes me feel worse. Would the anti malaria pills delay other symptoms that my friends have? They didn't take any pills and all have a fever, aches, chills and diarrhea. Should I wait it out?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Did your symptoms start after taking the pills?

No about 12 days after

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

I would not recommend waiting it out. The anti-malaria pills may only be partially effective and if there is confirmed malaria more specific treatment should be prescribed. So the pills that you are taking may delay the symptoms but not cure the infection. So, you should get a blood test done and it is not wise in delaying the investigation and treatment.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Thank you.

Dear customer,
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a

mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!