Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother is experiencing a desire to self harm. She was…

Customer Question
Hi, my mother is...

Hi, my mother is experiencing a desire to self harm

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

She was recently prescribed Bactrim, prednisone for a reaccuring infection She is 82 - and takes several medications but this has just arisen with this round of prednisone She has taken it before with no issue. No rashes

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Penicellin (sp) and tetnus toxoid and ace inhibitors

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She takes generic of Nexium, a blood pressure med and several inhalers. Other than the severe asthma, I don't think so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/28/2017
Doctor: KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician replied 10 months ago
KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi. Thanks for your question. I am a board certified neurologist.

Steroid medication can certainly cause unusual thoughts including suicidal ideation in rare cases. First, you need to make sure she is supervised until the symptoms pass. If you feel she is in imminent danger, you should not hesitate to call 911, or take her to the ER. Also make sure you remove any means by which she can harm herself if possible (weapons, knives, etc.). Protecting her from self harm should be the #1 goal.

She likely will need to stop taking the steroid medication given this serious probable side effect, but you should consult with a doctor who knows her or who can evaluate her today ideally before deciding exactly what to do with the medication. This website is to provide guidance and information, but not actually to provide medical treatment.

Again, make sure she is safe, and call 911 or take her to an Emergency Room if she is in danger of hurting herself. Her doctor prescribing the prednisone needs to know what is going on.

Best wishes for you and your mother. Please let me know if anything is unclear or if you have more questions. If this has been helpful, please rate me highly.