Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I did oxycontin off/on for about a year. For about 3 weeks I…

Customer Question
I did oxycontin off/on for...
I did oxycontin off/on for about a year. For about 3 weeks I started snorting them about 3 days in a row, then 3 days off, then 3 days on, etc. I would also inhale them into the back of my throat with a straw. One Saturday I woke up during withdrawal gasping for air, kept doing that and was fine the next day. One week later I did pills again for 3 days and I woke up gasping for air again. When I woke up my lungs did not feel normal anymore. Needless to say I have had this going on for 2+ months, shortness of breath, and a weird pinching feeling when I take a deep breath. I have had every lung test under the sun done plus an upper scope, barium swallow, gastric emptying test, and esphogram. I do have reflux as well and a fatty liver. The only thing that has came back is esophagitis. Some days I wake up and feel fine and then something triggers my lungs to spasm, yet no wheezing or coughing. When I eat I feel bloated and more out of breath. I eat less nowadays yet I have had no improvement. Any idea what may be causing this shortness of breath?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
9/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

bad anxiety symptoms and panic attacks can cause shortness of breath

inhaling oxycotin can cause respiratory depression and gasping for air

you should see a treatment program to help you stay off of the oxycontin if you can't stay off of it on your own.

Dr. David,
Here is what I was needing help on. "When I woke up my lungs did not feel normal anymore. Needless to say I have had this going on for 2+ months, shortness of breath, and a weird pinching feeling when I take a deep breath. I have had every lung test under the sun done plus an upper scope, barium swallow, gastric emptying test, and esphogram. I do have reflux as well and a fatty liver. The only thing that has came back is esophagitis. Some days I wake up and feel fine and then something triggers my lungs to spasm, yet no wheezing or coughing. When I eat I feel bloated and more out of breath." To add to that I quit at that time doing Oxy, my concern is trying to figure out why I feel this strange feeling in the bottom of my throat, middle of chest has a pinching pain when inhaling, diaphragm area feels weird etc. I still feel SOB after 2 months and I have every test done and it is all normal. I can't figure out why my breathing is still so strange (feel SOB) and why I have these weird feelings (throat, mid-chest, diaphragm/upper-abdomen area). It has turned my life upside down. Did I damage my lungs somehow and it's not showing up on tests? CNS damage? I just can't figure out what is wrong with me and specialists have no idea as well and I need other professional opinions please!

you most likely didn't damage your lungs or brain

it sounds like you have bad anxiety symptoms.

bad anxiety symptoms can cause shortness of breath and chest pressure symptoms

treatment to help decrease anxiety symptoms most likely will help your shortness of breath symptoms.

Thanks for your reply. I have been on Prozac for weeks now w/o any luck, I have Valium too but not wanting to trade one nightmare for another. I understand that anxiety can cause chest tightness, etc. but this is weird. Something is pinching when I breathe deeply and on top of that my lungs always feel strange inside as if they're having spasms. It's like having bronchitis w/o cough and mucus. My diaphragm area also feels weird and I can't seem to eat anything w/o getting more SOB. It's like at the very same time my digestion has changed, yet all tests for that are normal too. I just wonder if acid reflux is causing this SOB somehow or this esophagitis is causing these weird sensations?

you may need to have your prozac dose increased if it is not helping with your anxiety symptoms.

acid reflux doesn't help

eating healthier can help acid reflux

if you are overweight, this can cause more shortness of breath symptoms as well.

Well I appreciate your help. I'm just trying to solve this pinching pain mainly. I about an average body size 5'9" 195 pounds, I lost 12 pounds but belly is still distended. Sometimes I wonder if something in my abdomen is pushing up on my diaphragm, like fatty liver related? Either way, I'm just on this quest to find out what is wrong with my lungs to hopefully solve this mystery once and for all!

it sounds like loosing weight can help

cutting out carbs, sugars, alcohol, white flour, gluten, sodas, and eating healthier, more protein and fruits and vegetables can help you loose weight along with some exercise.

this can help you breath better.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician