Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

For the last 2 weeks my 16 year old son has been suffering…

Customer Question
Hi, for the last...

Hi, for the last 2 weeks my 16 year old son has been suffering from night sweats, throbbing headache that's worse from sitting to standing and a sore neck on one side, near where his tonsil is situated. Any ideas on what could be wrong? He is a very fit 16year old who plays rugby 5 times a week.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausea . The headache is daily and all the time

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, he has a scan for a lump in his testicle recently but that came back as a small cyst

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
9/28/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

He can have any number of infections:]

Mono

viral meningitis

Other problems.

One should see a doctor after 3 days of such symptoms, as a rule of thumb.

there are other causes, but he needs to see his doctor and get a mono spot blood test immediately.

If he plays sports, and has a swollen spleen from mono, he is in some danger of ruptured spleen.

Get him to the doc now.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician