Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter who is anemic and has been dangerously low has…

Customer Question
My daughter who is...

My daughter who is anemic and has been dangerously low has had a low WBC (2.8) since May. Can anemia cause this? She also has very heavy periods that last weeks

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has Gilberts Syndrome. Over the past 1 her menstrual bleeding is out of control and has binign cysts in that area

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
9/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about ypour daughter however to answer your question, simple anemia by itself would NOT cause the WBC counts to drop so low. However SOME causes of anemia may also lead to decreased WBC counts. This means that if your daughter had anemia because of vitamin B12 deficiency 0r folate deficiency then she can develop a low WBC count and also a low platelet count as well. Similarly if the anemia was due to a viral infection then the WBC count can also drop in that case.

But here i believe your daughter has anemia due to the heavy menstrual bleeding that she has. So in here case the simple answer here would be NO her low WBC count is unlikely to be due to the anemia. The commonest cause for a low WBC count can be a viral infection which has caused the WBCs to remains low, in some cases the viral infection can suppress the bone marrow production for even several months at a time. However since she has had this problem for 4 months now, the next step here would be to get a bone marrow biopsy done which will tell us as to why the WBCs are persistently low. At the same time she should also undergo vitamin b12, folate level testing and also get tested for thyroid problems which can lead to both the cell lines being suppressed. i would also get her checked for autoimmune causes by getting a ANA,ESR and a complete ENA profile done which can help rule that out as a cause as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor