Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have intermittent movement in my stomach and all pregnancy…

Customer Question
I have intermittent movement...

I have intermittent movement in my stomach and all pregnancy tests are negative nor do I feel pregnant. I am wondering if a ultrasound could see if I have a parasite infection

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

Yes, i have had frequent nausea. This has been going on for at least 6 months if not longer.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have inflammation of my duodenum and take Omeprazole. I have had 6 pregnancies and 6 healthy children with 2 c-sections and 4 vaginal births. I am extremely overweight. With the exception of those things, no other problems exist. Also, I have gained weight, probably 20-30 lbs in the past year and my stomach has gotten larger (of course, right?).

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually parasites would never be visible ion an ultrasound of the abdomen, the reason being unless the parasites are NUMEROUS in number, they would usually appear as stool etc. When parasites are so many in quantity that they cause a blockage in the intestine, only then would they be visible on an ultrasound. The best test to detect parasites in the intestine would be to get a stool test done for ova and cysts. Along with that you can also get a CBC done to detect the amount of eosinophils in your blood, if you have parasites then they would be markedly raised.

Now movement in the abdomen can be due to a number of things and not necessarily due to parasites and infact the most common cause of this is the movement of the intestine itself which is known as persistalsis. Sometimes the peristalsis is so intense that you would experience sensations as if there is something moving inside the abdomen. This can occur due to food products or even due to stress and anxiety.

But to answer your question, an ultrasound would not be the best test to diagnose parasites, stools tests and blood tests would be a better alternative and if an imaging has to be done then a CT scan has a better chance of picking up on parasites rather than an ultrasound.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/