Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having a few Petechiae pop up a few at a time…

Customer Question
I have been having a...
I have been having a few Petechiae pop up a few at a time mostly on my thighs and under the arm area. I also bruise easily. I mentioned it to my dr and he ran 3 different lab tests. CBC, CardioLipin, and Protime INR. Do you feel like these are the tests that should be run? CBC and Protime test are normal. Haven't got the CardioLipin test yet. Also, I noticed my RBC is slightly elevated. The normal max for a woman is 5.0. These are all of the readings I have had for years of doing CBC's . As you can see the last ones have gone up slightly past 5.0. Any significance in this slight elevation ? 4.73
4.69
4.94
5.06
5.02
4.95
5.11
5.27
5.27
5.28
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
9/28/2017
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.The elevated RBC count is not of much significance.what would be pertinent would be the cause of the petichiae.THe petichiae usually appear due to bleeding from the capillaries in the skin,it can occur when the platelets( a blood cell which prevents bleeding) are down,as also disturbance in the coa -gulation factors which help the blood turn solid from liquid state and prevent bleeding.Also the use of certain drugs which may encourage bleeding,certain viral diseases which tend to promote petichiae formation,autoimmune diseases,radiation,trauma,Henoch Schonlein's Purpura, thrombocytopenia,aging,leukemias,bacteriamias,sepsis and idiopathic purpura need to be investigated.

I have chronic Epstein barr virus and a very slightly elevated gamma globulins and a very high C4a level. Those are my only tests that are abnormal. Wouldn't I have more symptoms with something like sepsis? Been tested for autoimmune diseases which are negative. I take Losartan and Diltiazem. Platelets are normal. Are the tests he ran ruling out coagulation problems?

If all tests are normal,including coagulation time and bleeding time,this would sugest no problem with the coagulation factors or platelets.The only diagnosis left is of Idiapthic Purpura which cannot be attributed to any cause.

if the Protime INR, and the CardioLipin test are normal then do those 2 tests alone rule out clotting disorders?

If the Prothrombin time and Partial Thrombin Time(PTT) are normal,there is no problem with the coagulation factors.The cardiolipin test is used to test for for auto immune diseases.

Is the Protime INR the same as Prothrombine time and PTT as you referred to above?

The PTT is different,the Protime INR and The prothrombin time appear to be the same thing.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor