Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question regarding homocysteine levels. Can they be…

Customer Question
I have a question regarding...
I have a question regarding homocysteine levels. Can they be reduced in 1 day by taking 4 times the recommended amount of b vitamins?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/28/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. While B vitamins do play a role in reducing homocysteine levels by converting it into a different amino acid called methionine, the biochemical process takes time. Even with 4 times the recommended dose you will not be able to reduce your homocysteine levels significantly in one day.Do you have any other questions or concerns I can help with?
My levels came back 7.8 which is normal. If you had to take an educated guess, how much can one day of mega b vitamin dosage decrease homocysteine levels? More than 0.1?Also, I had a genesight test done, and it was confirmed that I have significantly reduced folic acid conversion which leads to significantly high levels of homocysteine, and decreased levels of folate. However, my homocysteine was optimal and my folate levels came back excessive even though my body has a significant reduction in folic acid conversion. How are these possible?