Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there anything i can do to ease the symptoms of

Customer Question
Parasympathetic Defecation Reflex...
is there anything i can do to ease the symptoms of Parasympathetic Defecation Reflex
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

What situations and episodes set it off the most?

Is it severe with explosive diarrhea or is it just the urge to defecate normally?

Is it only one episode or does it last for several hours after the onset?

It is severe and can be explosive. It is usually 1 episode but can be 2 to 4 times over several hours.
It happens most often after eating lunch and it can be anywhere from while still eating to 1 hour after eating.

There are several things you can do to decrease this reflex response.

The number one thing is what you eat. Anytime you eat foods that bind you, they will sit in the rectum and not move. Then when you eat and your stomach expands you will send CCK and other hormones down to the rest of the intestines which will make your intestines start moving a lot and push everything out of the stagnated rectum (the last part of the colon).

Food that bind you would be breads/rice/pasta and meats.

If you decrease these, add more fiber to your diet, and increase your water consumption then these events will be much less frequent.

I have tried to change my diet with no success to this point. if anything it seems like fiber makes things worse.

Fiber might make it worse at first but it will improve over the long run.

If you prefer medications then the 2 commonly prescribed medications for this are either reglan or over the counter imodium.

Please click on "Rating" when you have a moment.

Feel free to ask any further questions you might have.

You can always return to this same question for follow up an unlimited number of times.