Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a history of IBS although for years they did not call…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a history of IBS although for years they did not call it that. Said I was normal. I have not been to the bathroom for 5-6 days. Usually every other day or so for me. I have been on stool softeners everyday for the last two months. I started taking doses of Miralax 2 days ago. I have been dieting and apparently cut out too much fat and carbs. Mostly vegies salads with chicken. I was having sever pain in my right side yesterday and the day before. I took ibuprofen at 3 am. No pain but still no action. When do I see a doctor and what kind of doctor do I see?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Nature-Throi 65mg; BioTE DIM 150mg; BioTE - A-D-K 10; Adipex-P 37.5mg. I also have the BioTE pellets in my hip.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I went 16 days without going once. About 20 years ago. Does not usually get to this stage. 3 days usually now at the longest.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 10 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Do you still have the abdominal pain?

Not since I took the ibuprofen at 3 am. I have never had the pain up under my ribs before. Usually I can just feel everything processing through me from side to side until it finds it way to the lower torso then it will send electrical type shocks until it can be expelled. Maybe sharp pains is the better way to put that. I tolerate pain very well so I probably wait longer than most.
When the food is working its way from side to side you can hear it. It also feels like rocks unless it is very loose.

Have you ever had this kind of problem before?

I need to know if I need to keep taking the Miralax and how long before I should go to see a doctor. What kind of doctor do I need to see? A MD or a Digestion doctor?

OK

If the Miralax hasn't worked by now there's no need to continue it

You need to see your primary care doctor for this

It could be just an impacted stool in your colon but it could be now IBS with constipation

You need an exam and an abdominal x-ray to start out

You might need a colonoscopy to relieve the impaction if that's the problem

IBS with consitipation can be treated with a medication called Linzess

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you