Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having pain in my upper right back/shoulder blade area.

Customer Question
I am having pain...

I am having pain in my upper right back/shoulder blade area. It’s been consistent for a week. It seems to be much worse in the morning but hurts through the day when I move my head in certain ways and when I yawn.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No recent in injuries. It is always worse after laying down, I can’t seem to find anything that makes it better

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had my collar bone reconstructied on that side - in 2011. I don’t know if that can be related.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/27/2017
Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer.I amCustomerand your complete satisfaction is my goal.

I am an orthopedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

I am reviewing your question and would respond shortly.

This is not likely to be related to your clavicle reconstruction done in 2011.
Most likely this pain is result of changes in the cervical spine which are commonly known as cervical spondylosis.
Changes of degeneration in cervical spine cause Spondylosis and these changes cause the nerves going down to shoulder blade to get irritated causing pain in the area you describe.
In most such cases medicine especially anti inflammatory medication and rest given to the neck and upper back area are enough to give relief.
You can take anti inflammatory medication like Advil 3 to 4 times a day for 5 to 7 days and apply ice to the painful area. You also need to take care of your posture avoiding any bending at the neck.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Should I be concerned that the pain has been there for a week and has not gotten better with rest? Or anti inflammatory meds?
If the symptoms have not responded to 7 days of anti-inflammatory medication and rest you need to have it checked by a doctor to rule out a disc rupture or a tear in the annulus of the intervertebral disc.