Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What's causing my hives? I get them once in a while, and…

Customer Question
What's causing my hives? I...
What's causing my hives? I get them once in a while, and they go away in a few days. I believe the first time was in June, I don't have any food allergies that I know of. I take cetirizine 10mg and it seems to help I guess. It happens when I wake up and start itching then I notice them and sometimes they're itchy. Any remedies ? What could be causing it?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

When do you notice them? In the morning, night, after being in the grass, at the pool, etc?

Are they all over or just in one area?

I notice them usually in the middle of the night when I'm scratching. Most of the time in one area on the arm, abdomen area, and sometimes by the hand.

None on the legs or back?

Sometimes on the back usually upper but rarely on the legs

Any new soaps, lotions, bathing supplies, detergents?

When did this start?

It started in June I believe and I thought it was from the very hot showers I use to take but they go away and come back once in a while. I did recently get a new soap but I'm pretty sure it's not the soap

So hives are very difficult because they are caused by a number of different things. The most common causes are medications, heat, cold, pressure, exercise, sunlight, emotional stress, and chronic medical conditions. Other causes include recent illness, travel, foods, new perfumes, hair dyes, detergents, lotions, creams, or clothes, exposure to new pets (dander), dust, mold, chemicals, or plants to name a few.

Since it has been going on since June, I would encourage you to get routine screen blood work for kidney and liver function, as well as inflammatory proteins and thyroid function.

Problems with the kidneys or liver could cause it?

Yes.

I don't have any other symptoms other than the hives once in a while. What kind of problems? Serious or not so serious?

Generally not serious.

It is almost always caused by something touching the skin or heat or cold

Do you sweat a lot at night?

My bed is close to the wall and the only part that touches it is my arm but that's about it. No I don't it's cool in my bedroom, the window open and fan on that's it

What is your age? Female or male?

19 male
I wouldn’t be too concerned. I would get blood work for routine screening
Ok I'll do that. What do you think the cause is?