Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have trouble swallowing larger pills, not allergic. 80…

Customer Question
I have trouble swallowing...

I have trouble swallowing larger pills

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Not allergic. 80 years of age

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Problem recent one year

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your situation. Actually if the problem lies ONLY with larger pills and not with any form of liquids or other solids then what you can do is to break the pills in half and then swallow each half individually. However this can be done only with tablets and NOT with capsules, in case of capsules you can have your doctor either change the drug to a tablet form or you can try the following method,

The pop-bottle method is designed for swallowing tablets:

• Fill a plastic water or soda bottle with water.
  • Put the tablet on your tongue and close your lips tightly around the bottle opening.
  • Take a drink, keeping contact between the bottle and your lips and using a sucking motion to swallow the water and pill. Don’t let air get into the bottle.

Study participants had even more success with a technique for swallowing capsules called the lean-forward method:

lean-forward method to swallow pills

• Put a capsule on your tongue.
  • Take a sip of water but don’t swallow.
  • Tilt your chin toward your chest.
  • Swallow the capsule and water while your head is bent.

This technique showed an improvement of 89% over the old method of taking a sip of water from a cup and trying to swallow.

Here is a link with this information

Information

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.