Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Have a uric acid kidney stone 8mm show up on my ultrasound.

Customer Question
Have a uric acid...

Have a uric acid kidney stone 8mm show up on my ultrasound. ent to specialist got an xray didn't show anything(it happens) he give me k-lyte potassium. went back after two mths ultrasound couldnt find stone. i see specialist in 3 week for xray. is it possible potassium 25meq dossolved it?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Nothing, no systems ever

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Had a s3mm stone 5 yrs ago, passed never tested

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/26/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. With uric acid stones the primary treatment is to alkalinize the urine (Raise the pH) which allows the stone to dissolve and pass. Assuming the potassium you took was potassium citrate or bicarbonate, then yes, it is very possible that it dissolved it.Do you have any other questions or concerns I can help with?If I've addressed your question and you are satisfied, please click the button to accept the answer. I would also appreciate the kindness of a positive review. Thank you.
If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer and conclude our interaction.