Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Dr. Love ONLY, I am sorry I forgot to say thank you and rate

Dr. Love ONLY,I am sorry...
Dr. Love ONLY,I am sorry I forgot to say thank you and rate you last time. I just rated you on that one yesterday.If estrogen receptors get absorbed into the cell when they take on estrogen, the cell must eventually run out of receptors, and then the AI's will no longer work???? This seems like it can't be true or AI's really wouldn't work at all.I'm still (sorry) stuck on the alcohol and AI's. The part about it having to be chronic bothers me because it just doesn't make sense. I know it shouldn't bother me, because I only drink wine on vacations, but it makes me think we don't understand this right.It just seems like you drink 4 wines in one night and that immediately stimulates the aromatase to hook up with androgens and create estrogen. It's all that I can understand. IF this is true, do you think that with my abdominal fat and 4 glasses of wine--the AI's are still strong enough at 25 mg (there is a 50 mg pill for people who take certain medications) to STOP the estrogen from being made?
9/26/2017
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

No, the cell will not run out of receptors because it will simply make more. This is also why you need to keep taking exemestane. If you may recall, exemestane irreversibly inhibits aromatase by binding to it, but it can only affect the aromatase that is present when the drug is in your system. It is necessary to keep taking exemestane because the cells will make more of the enzyme.

You can refuse to accept that the alcohol effect requires chronic exposure all you want, but we see this with many types of alcohol effects, as I said the other day. Your refusal to accept it does not make it untrue. So, I refuse to accept any hypothesis that assumes that it is untrue. The reason that it is OK for you to drink this much on vacation is what I am saying, not some other theory based upon what you refuse to accept.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But, in general do you think it is ALSO possible that the exemestane is simply enough to stop aromatization of my fat and 4 wines?---in addition to the chronic/non-chronic effects.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would hope that the lack of estrogen eventually kills the cells, and that is why people eventually stop exemestane at 10 years. My onc. says that AI's actually kill cancer cells (through lack of estrogen I assume).

But the reason that I say that the exemestane can block the effect of your vacation drinking is because this amount of drinking is not chronic. The same statement could not be make if you were drinking 4 glasses of wine every day, even with not on vacation. So, the same statement cannot be made independent of the issue of the chronic/non-chronic effects.

Yes, the AIs kill cancer cells, but until a study shows that there is no additional benefit beyond 10 years, it cannot be said that the effect is complete by 10 years. As we previously discussed, by the time that you are 10 years out, then additional studies will have been completed, so we will have better information by that point.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Forget the chronic/non-chronic. Do you think that one night of drinking 4 glasses of wine along with the abdominal fat can be stopped from turning into estrogen (just for that one day), just because the AI's are enough to stop them? Before the chronicity came up, you used to say that the effect would be too small. I really want to believe that the AI's can do this despite the chronic effect. No I don't drink except on vacation but I have trouble seeing how one night of drinking 4 glasses of wine wouldn't stimulate the aromatase along with androgens to create estrogen. I don't see now that can be avoided.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How strongly do you believe that I am going to live decades?

It cannot be answered if I forget the chronic/non-chronic, The reason that I said that the effect was small is because there is no significant effect from short term use of that much alcohol.If you insist that I ignore any consideration of chronic/non-chronic, then it is impossible to answer your question.

We have already discussed your prognosis numbers. With the 87% five-year prognosis and an average recurrence rate of about 1% for year 6 through year 25, that would mean that there is a 67% likelihood that you will have 25 years of disease-free survival.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you
Dr. D. Love, Doctor