Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

About a month ago I used a new vacuum steamer in my home

About a month ago I used a new vacuum steamer in my home which has a large first floor. This equipment required I hold a trigger for a couple hours of work straight. After that the tip of my pointer finger that held the trigger has felt funny. I only notice it when I touch something with it like there is a new feeling to it that the other pointer does not have. There is no tingling I dont believe it is number. Feels like a layer of new skin would feel or after you get a burn and it freshly heals. Its been a month and it still feels this way. Can you help me on what has caused this. Also I work on a computer 40 hours a week for work.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

The medical term for this symptom is paresthesia. Paresthesia can refer to any altered sensation, so can include burning and tingling, but also includes any altered or funny sensation. Numbness is different, in that it is an absence of sensation, although numbness and paresthesias can sometimes happen together.

Since the paresthesia started after prolonged exertion using your pointer finger, this is almost certainly related to excessive pressure that has caused trauma to the nerves that travel through the finger to the tip. When this happens, it will almost always heal spontaneously, but it can take months to heal, as healing nerves grow slowly. To promote healing, it is appropriate to minimize further effort using this finger whenever possible. When you need to grip an object, try to primarily use the remaining fingers. If the pointer finger must be used, try to limit the duration of time that you use the finger and use many rest periods.

If there is any discomfort, swelling, or stiffness in the joints of the finger, it also may help to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Moist heat also may help, as it also can relieve inflammation.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
If this was an underlying disease would it not only present in the very tip of one finger?

Generally, yes. Some underlying conditions may start having symptoms in only the tip of one finger, but it would typically progress to other involvement.

But the timing of the onset of symptoms after prolonged use of the finger also strongly speaks against any underlying condition.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome.