Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was just wondering if I could get a diagnosis on what I…

Customer Question
Hi, I was just...

Hi, I was just wondering if I could get a diagnosis on what I have at the moment

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes I have seen a doctor just after a second opinion on what you may think I have, I am taking doxycycline

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had meningitis/ swelling in my brain

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

I had swelling in my brain back in 2010 but all clear of that now, I suffer from ankylosing spondylitis recently I have found out that but at the moment I'm sick with a nasty cough, I have the following symptoms as we speak, they are fever hot and cold, headache coughing and sometimes bring up blood, it hurts to breathe can't quite get a proper breath and body aches and pains

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/26/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like you may have developed an infection of the lower respiratory tract. This would cause all of the symptoms that you are experiencing and if you have been on treatment for the ankylosing spondylitis in the form of steroids of immunosuppressants then it is more likely that you will get infections. The presence of blood along with coughing and fever can indicate that you have either pneumonia or even a bad case of bronchitis. This would be diagnosed with the help of a chest xray and a clinical examination. The treatment would be with the help of antibiotics.

Now regarding your situation doxycycline is a good option for the treatment of bronchitis and it would cover most of the organisms. Secondly you should also hbe on a short course of steroids if this is bronchitis along with breathing treatments.

If your breathing is worsening and fever is persisting even after 4-5 days of antibiotic therapy then that means that you need to be re evaluated by visiting your doctor again.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.