Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Ravoof. I'm still worried about my calcium levels and now

HeyCustomer I'm still worried about...
HeyCustomer I'm still worried about my calcium levels and now colon cancer. I had diahhrea for 4 days and now I have constipation. Took miralax and had more diahhrea.I just want to make sure I'm ok
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

What makes you concerned about colon cancer and how is this related to calcium levels?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know. My stomach hurts and first I had diahhrea and now I'm constipated. That's why I took miralax. I had kind of a normal bowel movement. They were green and kind of flat. I'm just worried but everybody keeps telling me I'm just stressed out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know you have told me not to worry but I'm still worried. I'm worried that something is there and I don't know it.

Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.

Basically, let me first explain to you the normal color of stools and how the coloration occurs. Stool color is influenced by the color of what we eat, as well as by the amount of bile which is a yellow-green fluid secreted in the gastrointestinal tract. As this bile travels through the gastrointestinal tract, it is chemically altered by the enzymes, which change the pigments in the bile from green to brown. So all shades of brown (very light brown to yellow) and even green stools may be normal. Stool color, therefore, is not very important and only rarely does it indicate a potentially serious intestinal condition.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Bowel movement patterns differ in individuals, and there is a wide range of what is normal. Some will move their bowels 3 times daily, while others may move their bowels 3 times weekly; both may be normal.

Bowel movements vary depending on how much exercise you get, your lifestyle, and your diet (fiber and water content).

Anxiety will also cause a change in bowel movements. So, there is no concern for colon cancer.

Colon cancer would cause symptoms such as a change in the bowel habits, including diarrhea or constipation or a change in the consistency of the stool, and this change lasts longer than four weeks. This is not an occasional episode but a chronic change. Also, there may be rectal bleeding or blood in the stool. Along with this, there is weakness or fatigue, and unexplained weight loss.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But that's what I'm saying I've had diahhrea and now I can't go. The miralax helped but it hasn't been a solid bowel movement since last Thursday. I haven't eaten heavy foods because I'm stressed. But can you explain more you're not worried about colon cancer?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, I'm worried about my calcium levels because now I'm constipated and I'm scared my levels rose. It was a 10.4 last week and I'm just scared

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Such occasional changes in bowel movements are not concerning for colon cancer and are commonly due to anxiety. You should relax and increase the fiber intake in your diet by eating a lot of vegetables. Also please drink plenty of water.

Calcium levels are not responsible for constipation that you are having. Increase in calcium levels will not cause constipation so soon and only a high level of calcium present for many weeks will later give rise to constipation.

Take care.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I take fiber gummies and still nothing. I need to get over this but I wish I could have a normal bowel movement. Does it take a while for it to go back to normal?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, it does take a few days for this to resolve and for your bowel movements to go back to normal. You should not worry about the frequency of bowel movements. Have even 3 bowel movements in a week is normal.

Take care.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not really worried about frequency. More of what I'm getting. I mean it's been since last Friday and I'm concerned. But you're saying don't worry about it?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, this is what I am advising. I assure you that your symptoms are due to anxiety and will resolve by themselves. There is no suspicion of any underlying disease causing these symptoms. You should not worry about this symptoms and eat a balanced diet with lots of vegetables and fruits.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I'll try to stay positive and keep calm

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

This positive attitude along with relaxation exercises such as mindfulness meditation will help you very much and all your symptoms will then disappear.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I had my stomach looked at last year because I had stomach issues. They went inside with an indescope and just found it was really red. I'm just curious. Would a tumor form in a year or how long does it take. I mean they took images of my stomach and went inside with a camera in 2016 so a tumor couldn't of formed that quick right?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

It is unlikely for cancer to occur in this short duration after a recent investigation. You don't have to worry regarding this.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long does it take usually? Does cancer only come from a tumor?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Cancer does come from an abnormal growth and can take many years to develop.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Me again. So me going from frequent urination to stomach pain is just straight stress huh? I mean the stomach pain didn't start until the frequent urination stopped. Or they would switch. But now it's just burning stomach pain

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

The burning stomach pain is likely to increase in gastric acid secretion by the stomach. Anxiety can contribute to this increase in secretion. You should take an acid lowering medication such as Zantac or Prilosec to lower the acidity and reduce the pain.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I took mylanta. Will that help?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just took a zantac
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Zantac 150 to be exact

Yes, Mylanta and Zantac 150 will reduce your burning pain.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know anything about eyes? Just curious

Dear customer,

I am a general practitioner and so successfully manage many eye conditions and only when required will refer a patient to an ophthalmologist.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pain in my stomach is still there after taking the meds. Just a lil concerned. Is my stomach inflamed?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I asked another Dr about my pain and she said to go to the ER. You think she's right? It does really hurt
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my stomach pain has subsided. Still going to my pcp again for the stomach pain. Its just crazy that I switched from frequent urination to stomach pain
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there Dr Ravoof?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

I am online now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HeyCustomerare you there?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

I am online now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great. I just can't seem shake this fear of my calcium levels going up. My anxeity has literally taking over. To the point that every pain or weird feeling I have is the start of something horrible happening. I just don't know how to overcome this

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

I am really sorry that you are going through this. One of the techniques you can use to deal with worry is to give yourself worry time. At the beginning of every hour for 10 minutes, give yourself time to only worry. Don't do anything else, but worry during these 10 minutes. After 10 minutes for the rest of 50 minutes when you get worry thoughts, calmly tell yourself that you will definitely worry about them but at the beginning of next hour. By doing this your worry will gradually reduce, and you will be able to realize that worry is simply scary thoughts.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great. I'll try that. Do you know anything about sleep disorders?.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Please open a new question requesting me so that we can discuss sleep disorders. I do know about their management.

Thank you.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor