Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have swelling in my legs specifically ankles, and what…

Customer Question
I have swelling in...

I have swelling in my legs specifically ankles, and what looks like some blood below surface. I have some leg cramping and some pain on lower back and legs feel strained, I went to emergency room on Friday they did EKG, Chest xray and blood work. found nothing wrong.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

I do not have shortness of breath

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Exhausted all the time

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Since when are your all of these symptoms including exhaustion, swelling ankle and leg cramps?

Chronic exhaustion of fatigue can be caused by:

Thyroid disease

Connective tissue diseases

Chronic anemia

Chronic infections like Epstein Barr virus

Endocrine diseases (Addison disease).

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Myasthenia Gravis.

You would need following investigations:

Complete blood count (CBC)

Liver function tests

Thyroid function tests

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

Serum electrolyte level measurement

Immunoglobulin M (IgM)/immunoglobulin G (IgG) coxsackievirus B titer

IgM/IgG human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) titer

IgM/IgG C pneumoniae titer

Autoimmune panel

Anemia panel.

Swelling of feet and ankle on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons;

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl