Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a sore ear and tingling on the same side in my face.

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a sore ear and tingling on the same side in my face. I had really painful sinus a couple days ago too. Doc gave me a course of asntibiotics whitc finished 3 days ago and ear drops.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

This has been on and off about 8 weeks

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take antihistamines foe allergies and nasal steroids for chronic rhinious

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
9/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually there are a couple of conditions which can cause this problem. The first one which comes to mind is that the infection has moved to the sinuses or the antibiotics have failed to completely eliminate the problem. This is a common problem which can occur and would be diagnosed with a sinus xray and if there is evidence of an infection then you would need another course of antibiotics however this time around you would need stronger ones to completely get rid of the infection. Infact this is the most likely cause as sometimes you can have an organism which is difficult to treat and needs to be managed with broad spectrum antibiotics.

The second possibility is that you could have developed an condition which is known as trigeminal neurlagia, this is a condition in which the nerves of the face, cheek can be damaged because of a pre existing infection or past viral infections or some other cause and lead to pain, tingling, numbness, stabbing or shooting pain over the cheek, sinus or even one side of the face. The diagnosis is made with a clinical examination and then can be treated with drugs like carbamezapine.

Given this has been ongoing for 8 weeks, i think it is time for you to get a xray of the sinuses done and if necessary a CT scan as well and if that is negative then you should be evaluated for trigeminal neuralgia.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor