Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm having pain in my thighs and hip area when I try to

Customer Question
I'm having pain...

I'm having pain in my thighs and hip area when I try to walk, what could my medical problem be?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Over a year, walking makes the pain increase

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am 72 years old, have high blood pressure, and I am still working.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/25/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

This sounds like peripheral vascular disease with the pain typically coming on activity / exertion and improving on rest. Its just like heart pain or angina which is occuring in your legs here.

You will need an ultrasound doppler on your legs to check the patency of your blood vessels. These are usually narrowed in peripheral vascular disease.

What needs to be done ;

Stop smoking ,if you do.

Strict control of cholesterol and sugar levels.

Blood pressure optimum control.

Your doctor may prescribe low dose aspirin, a statin ( cholesterol lowering agent) and naftidrofuryl for this if he finds this on ultrasound ..

Hope your query is answered.

Plz let me know if you have any further queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards