Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What cause wheeztng. I dont have med history just started.

Customer Question
What cause wheeztng Doctor's...

What cause wheeztng

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I dont have med history just started

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No always very healthy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
9/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually there are three major causes of wheezing, ill list them by the likelihood of them occurring,

1) infections - the first cause of wheezing is an infection. An infection which can be viral or bacterial in nature can cause narrowing of the major airways of the lungs which leads to them swelling up and thus causing the wheezing. This would usually be accompanied by fever, cough which may be dry or productive and sometimes chest pain. the diagnosis is amde on a clinical examination and also with the help of a chest xray. Once diagnosed it can be treated with the help of simple antibiotics, steroids inhalers and antihistamines.

2) Allergies/asthma - another common of wheezing is allergies, you could be allergic to something in your environment especially if the wheezing occurs at any particular tike of the day or even during some activity. if this is an allergy then using OTC antihistamines like zyrtec or benadryl can be very helpful in solving the problem and then you can get allergy tested to determine the exact cause and avoid that product. Allergies can develop at ANY stage of your life no matter what your age. Secondly, it can also be asthma which too can develop at any stage of your life and that can be diagnosed on a clinical examination and then treated with inhalers.

3) Heart disease - this is more likely if you are above the age of 60 and also have swollen feet or shortness of breath on exertion. If this is the case then a echocardiogram would be diagnostic along with an EKG. This would be managed with help of medications as well.

But given that your symptoms just started i would consider an infection or allergies as being the most likely culprit here. I would suggest using OTC antihistamines which can be helpful and also get evaluated by visiting your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor