Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Severe health anxiety since I had a squamous cell in situ

Hi. Severe health anxiety since I had a squamous cell in situ removed from my leg, as well as a dysplastic mole. I have had this mole above my lip forever. Maybe since childhood and I am 48. My derm has checked it many times over the years and kindly calls it my "beauty mark". I occasionally shave this area and it will bleed or hurt I if I nick it. Tonight my dog hit it and it prickled a bit. I googled and scared myself that pain means cancer.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
It only bleeds when I know I have nicked it, which is extremely rare.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

If the only time that there is bleeding or pain in this mole is when there has been trauma to the mole, such as from shaving or dog exuberance, that is not worrisome. If you were reading on a web site that pain is a mole is worrisome for cancer, they are referring to spontaneous development of pain in a mole. A mole can have pain with trauma just as much as the normal patch of skin on the opposite side.

Since this mole has been present since childhood, has been checked several times by your Dermatologist, and is only having symptoms with trauma, it does not sound the least bit worrisome.

If you would like for me to look at a picture of the mole, I would be glad to do so. You can attach a picture by using the icon that looks like a paper clip. But with the information that you have provided thus far, this does not sound worrisome.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok. Thank you. Including photo.

Thank you for the photo. I agree with your doctor that this does not look worrisome at all. So, there is no reason to be concerned about the appearance or the symptoms that only occur with minor trauma.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I think that I worry that it is really a basal or squamous cell, even though my dermatologist has called it a mole before. She had also told me that because it had hair that it was unlikely to be cancer. Take a nurse (me!), add health anxiety and a good dose of Google and you can end up scared.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** night.!

It does not look like any kind of cancer.

You are welcome.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.