Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 6 yr son.. he was in hospital for 1 week after back…

Customer Question
I have a 6...

I have a 6 yr son.. he was in hospital for 1 week after back pain, tummy pain while eating (lasts 30-60 min) sudden high fevers with no obvious illness and lots of lymph nodes in neck visable! After 3 blood tests there is a very obvious low red cell, low white cell and low platelet reading! Over 4 days the red cell(still low) gained 6units but the white cell and platelets continue to drop. He is pale/yellowish mottled legs n arms. Very tired, 2 days of pain in legs when he wakes up and lasts up 4hrs! We see a specialist in 2 weeks but I'm so worried!! Any ideas please

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

CBC, cep,ear full blood film. If 2 or more cells come bk low tomorrow we will be ferreted for bone marrow aspiration!

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Wrong letters for blood test! fbc crp esr creative to be viewed by haematology unit urgently!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Leukaemia and many other cancers on fathers side
At some stage he has had an un noticed case of influenza b that was picked up on 20/09/17. This wouldnt be enough to drminish all his cells so fast would it?
He is now waking up in a cold wet sweat...
9/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your son's symptoms. Actually there are a few conditions which can cause these sort of symptoms. the most common and the most likely scenario here is that he has developed a viral infection which is causing the suppression of his bone marrow and that is leading to the development of all of his symptoms. While influenza b can cause this quite easily as well and in some patients it does follow a very rapid and fulminant course, it is more likely that he developed another viral infection siuch as parvovirus B19 which can suppress the bone marrow or even CMV or EBV among literally hundreds of other viruses. These can cause the bone marrow to be suppressed quite easily and usually it would take atleast 3-4 weeks for it to bounce back to normal. The good news here is that with most viral infections the bone marrow does come back and the production of the cells .

The second possibility is that of leukemia or lymphoma which is entiurely possible but i will keep it down the list. Hpowever a bone marrow biopsy is certainly indicated here and i would also go for a lymph node biopsy as well. This is something which MUST be ruled out.

Right now, if he is waking up in cold sweats and he has pain and high grade fevers, i feel he should be admitted to the hospital and investigated while there, especially if his WBC count is less than 2500 and platelet count is less than 50,000. In those situations he should be admitted immediately and started on broad spectrum antibiotics and undergo extensive testing.

But i think your major concern is regarding leukemia, i would keep it at number 2 rather than one, as viral infections are more common in children.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor