Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it possible to get a swollen top lir ater having flu for…

Customer Question
Is it possible to...

Is it possible to get a swollen top lir ater having flu for a week

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No injuries just started this morning and got gradually bigger as if ya have had a novacaine injection from the dentist

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yeah well im diabetic with a heart problem of which i had open surgery last year

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Yes, it is possible to develop swelling of a lip in the course of a viral infection, including the flu. It can be directly related to the underlying viral infection, but there are some other possibilities to consider. It is very common for someone with the flu or other upper respiratory viral infections to get swelling of the lip related to oral herpes and general swelling of the lip can precede the development of an overt sore. The association with other viral infections is why oral herpes is frequently called "cold sores" and "fever blisters".

The other consideration is that lip swelling can occur as a manifestation of an allergy. If you have been taking any medicines to ease the flu, then the swelling could be a reaction to that medicine. This would be more worrisome if there are other symptoms that could be related to allergy, such as swelling in the mouth or throat, itching, hives, or difficulty swallowing or breathing.

You can try to ease the swelling with the application of ice or a trial of an oral antihistamine. If the swelling is severe or you are having other allergy symptoms, particularly difficulty swallowing or breathing, then more aggressive treatment than what is available over the counter would be appropriate and you should be seen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.