Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Daughter came to be complaining of a painful lump at the…

Daughter came to be complaining...
Daughter came to be complaining of a painful lump at the base of her skull on the right side. When I touch it she says it hurts and when she bends her neck back or tilts it to the left it is painful because it puts pressure on it. It is hard to tell if it is movable because it feels as if it goes up under the skull, but doesn't feel soft. Any advice would be appreciative
9/25/2017
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is her age?

Fever,ear ache?

Sore throat,stuffy nose?

Is it red,tender and warm to touch?

Since how long has she been suffering from?

Headache,dizziness?

Ear discharge?

Clogged ears?

Are you giving her any medications?

Any medical history?
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

She is 14 years old. She was not feeling well earlier this weak and had a really bad headache. She discovered it tonight, but says it hurts when she touches it and when she tilts her head back or to the left (anything that puts pressure on it). When she asked me to feel it I wasn't allowed to touch it too long because she said it hurt to bad. She is on an antibiotic for her acne, but that is it.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well, painful, hard and immovable lump on right side of base of head can be due to enlarged lymph node.

Other possible cause may include infected sebaceous cyst formation.

Give her OTC Motrin and Tylenol alternately every 4-6 hourly.

Also apply warm compresses on affected area.

Apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin ointment twice a day on affected area.

Start a multivitamin supplement.

If her symptoms'll persist then see her doctor for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor