Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

One of my coworkers caught a bad cold and came to work

Hi. One of my coworkers...
Hi. One of my coworkers caught a bad cold and came to work friday, 2 days ago. Its been almost 60 hrs since i was exposed to it. At what point am i out of the window to catch it?
9/25/2017
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Most likely you will not catch the viral infection.

The average incubation period for the flu is 2 days, but it can last anywhere from 1 to 4 days in healthy adults.

Incubation period is the time period when one get infected with the flu virus, it multiplies quietly in body until to get symptoms of the disease and start excreting enough virus to give to someone else. That's the incubation period.

So as it has been 2 days ago you were exposed to cold virus- most likely you will not catch the viral infection but stillyou need to to watch for next 1-2 days. After this time you will be completely safe to catch this.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

I dont think it is the flu but just a cold. I had my flu shot 2 weeks ago..so i am good there...my nose has been itchy inside today like when you are going to sneeze but i havent. It is dry and windy today though. Santa ana winds. Very low humidity. First wind of the year

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Its good that you had the influenza/flu shot 2 weeks ago.

Incubation period of cold is 24-72 hours.

Average time period is 48 hours when most people start developing symptoms.

As it has been 60 hours for your past the exposure-it is less likely you will get the symptoms but you will be completely safe after 72 hours.

So you need to watch for another 12 hours.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today,

we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Could the weather be causing my other symotoms? Itchy nose inside and some sinus pressure?

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,surely change in weather,wind & low humidity aggravates the symptoms.

Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can prevent the infection upto great extent.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Saline spray?

Yes,saline water spray to be inhaled through the nose.

Also alternatively you can use saline drops.

The itchiness & other mild symptoms you are having in nose will be treated by this.This will help greatly.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
What about the gels i hear about?

Zinc nasal gel (Zicam) reduces the duration of the common cold & other symptoms and can be used as preventive therapy.

It is also available as OTC at your pharmacy.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor