Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have tried small doses of visteril. Less than 30

Customer Question
I have tried small...

I have tried small doses of visteril. Less than 30 throughout the day. When I take it my stool turns white. When I'm not taking it my stool is green. I can't seem to get anyone to care. It's been green for over 2 minths.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Loss of appetite and I have high histamine and anxiety. Pain in rt rib cage with fullness

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Since may. And no

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have chronic stress disorder. Inflammation

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
I have over 5 bm a day. Always green. Amalyse is slightly elevated as is potassium and tibc..The visteril really helps my anxiety and depression and slows me to not have to take benzodiazepines
Liver specialist just thought I am overacting about stool color. But it turns pure white or clay and now is green.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
You can just email instead of calling.
Prior to visteril I didn't have green stools. Are my bile ducts damaged? I was on estrogen replacement for 37 years. I'm 57..
Oh yeah there are little white balls in my stool like the size of a,pin head. Chalky almost like calcium balls
Is someone going to respond?
If no one is available. Just refund me.
9/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about the delay.

that is good the vistaril helps you have less anxiety.

you should get your blood thyroid hormone levels checked which can affect your bowel movements

bad anxiety symptoms can cause nervous bowel symptoms and more frequent bowel movements.

your diet can affect your bowel movements as well.

green stools is from your diet of vegetables and also fast bowel transit times.

the white balls can be from other foods you are eating and partially digesting

When I take the visteril I have white stools with no bile. And the green is too much bile?

green is not from too much bile.

green is from fast bowel transit times of stool going too fast through your bowels

which can be from anxiety or high thyroid hormone levels or what you are eating.

Ok. Why do I get white stools with no bile from visteril?

most likely it is not from visteril

you could have a temporary gall stone which can block bile flow which can cause temporary white or grey stools

but if the gall stone passes, the color comes back to the stools.

Unfortunately when I stop visteril my stools turn green and when I take it they turn white and elevate my amalyse. I have tried it like 7 times.
It just seems strange.

it sounds like the vistaril could be causing you some pancreatitis possibly which is seen with elevated lipase and amylase levels

some patients can be sensitive to medications which can cause them pancreatitis in some cases.

I am so frustrated.. because it's the best medicine I have found. It works when nothing else does. Now to stop the green stools. I have to take benzodiazepines which I hate.
See I have mcas too and really need a histamine blocker.

you can try benadryl (diphenhydramine) 50mg or 75mg and see if that works for you

it is also a type 1 antihistamine like hydroxyzine.

Tried that and meclazine small doses and the same thing happens. Could it be a bile duct issue?

you should ask your doctor to test your gall bladder

and get a HIDA scan

and check for pancreatitis when you take these types of medications.

I am seeing a billary specialist tomorrow. He felt I was fine to take the visteril. Because I always stop them at the first sign of white stools. I would hate to get full blown pancreatitis. I'm allergic to iv iodine so it makes the hida scan a no go. I had an ultrasound and it was fine and then while on very low doses of antihistamines i developed sludge. The white balls are not from food. They told me my gallbladder looked good but something was holding the sludge in. It sucks. Because I also have ic and visteril helps so much.. even at 7 mg 3x day. Wish there was something that could be done.. I hate benzodiazepines....

how about SSRI?

have you tried sertraine, fluoxetine, paroxetine for your anxiety symptoms?

how about effexor or wellbutrin?

tried them all. I was tested and supposedly I don't have the enzyme to uptake serotonin. It's been a challenge. Plus I guess via,the same psychiatric testing I have poor liver detoxification so drugs build up in my system.

I see.

hopefully the gall bladder testing and testing for pancreatitis can help.

you may have to see a GI specialist for more advanced testing.

propranolol can help decrease anxiety in some patients.

yoga and exercise can help decrease anxiety as well

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician