Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have an above the ground intex pool I have an above the…

I have an above the...
I have an above the ground intex pool
I have an above the ground intex pool. The free chlorine is good, total chlorine is high,alk and ph is low. Hardness is low too. Is it okay to swim just today because last hot day and we will be taking it down. Is it safe to swim? Thanks
9/24/2017
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. What is the current pH of your pool and the free and total chlorine level in ppm?
The free chlorine is at 1
Total chlorine is 3
Alk is a color between 0 and 40
PH is white around edges and just the middle of it looks 7.2 lightly
hardness is 0
You should be safe to swim. The CDC recommends a minimum pool free chlorine level of 1ppm and a pH range of 7.2 to 7.8. Most pool experts will tell you anything above 7.0 is okay but not under that. Enjoy a nice hot day in the pool! Do you have any other questions or concerns I can help with?If I've addressed your question and you are satisfied, please click the button to accept the answer. I would also appreciate the kindness of a positive review. Thank you.
Now I checked again just to be sure. The ph is light Orange now, so not sure if that's less or more than 6.2
6.2 is VERY low of a pH, i.e. too acidic to swim safely in. It will cause burning discomfort to the eyes and nose and irritation, redness and itching to the skin and scalp. Please consult with a pool specialist about how to raise the pH back up safely above 7.0.
Any other health or medical related questions?
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD