Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've recently developed blisters (2) on my buttock. I'm

I've recently developed blisters...

I've recently developed blisters (2) on my buttock. I'm aware that blisters are usually associated with an STD, but I wanted to know if it might be a side effect of hormone replacement therapy, namely a pellet insertion (2) in both cheeks?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None of the above. Just the blisters and recent acne on my face, which is a known side effect of HTR.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

Very recent, maybe a month or so. No other skin concerns.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I'm pretty healthy.

9/24/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

Okay.

are you able to upload a picture of the blisters?
are the blisters on the same side?
Is there any pain or burning where the blisters are?
Do you know what pellet was used?

No, The location of the blister precludes me from taking a picture, although I've tried so that I can take a better look. The one blister, the other one went away and then this one appeared later, is right on the inside of the right cheek. The blister is sore and it itches, but it doesn't burn. I have the Bio-T pellets.

and is the insertion site near where the blisters formed?

No, the insertion was done in another area of both cheeks.

ok, so most likely the blisters are not a reaction to the Bio-T pellet and not an infection due to the pellet.

what size are the blisters?

Okay, so it's not a symptom of the pellets. Could it be something other than an STD?
Approximately, the size of a dime.

it could be a localized skin infection called folliculitis but can not say for certain without a picture.
Herpes lesions tend to be smaller blister-like lesions in a cluster.

For an accurate diagnosis, I would recommend making an appointment with your doctor so they can examine the lesions and determine what the cause is.

Does that make sense?

Okay, I guess I should make a doctor's appointment to confirm. I was trying to do some research before seeing the doctor. I will also add that I have been married for 30 years and, as far as I know, my husband and I have both been faithful. However, I was concerned when I noticed the blisters as I recalled the symptoms associated with STDs.

I think is more likely folliculitis, but again difficult to tell without a picture. Your doctor should be able to easily diagnosis what the cause of the blister is.

Does that answer your question?

thank you.

You’re welcome and glad to be able to help you today!

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD