Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Do liver supplements help a damaged liver? I had an alanine…

Do liver supplements help...

Do liver supplements help a damaged liver?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I had an alanine aminotransferase value of 28 and am female.

9/24/2017
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

That is a normal value

Why are you concerned?

I thought it was high. The information I received says the range for females is 20-33 and I am on the high end.
I don't have $50 to call you. I just wanted an answer. Do liver supplements work?

I did not suggest a phone call, that is site automation.

In fact, I don't even do phone calls.

If your value is 28 it is in the normal range.

No, liver supplements can help protect the liver, but they do not correct existing damage.

If you had a liver problem you would need a diagnosis to manage it, with a doctor.

However, your result is normal at 28, not high.

So there is no concern.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician