Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had free air in my abdomen found on my abdominal ct while…

Customer Question
I had free air in...
I had free air in my abdomen found on my abdominal ct while taken in the hospital a few days ago.i had gallbladder surgery aug 3 2017 and had 2 abdominal cts taken since my recent gallbladder removal sugery aug 3 this year.the pain went away aprox 2 weeks after the surgery but I was wrestiling with my bofriend and hit my abdomen very hard aprox 3 weeks ago and the severe pain occurred after that immeadily.i was emabarrest to go get help because I had donr something stupid to cause the injury so I put off going to the doctor thinking it would get better in time.the pain never went away.the pain went from very severe at times to moderate and then when I coulnt take it anymore I went to the er.thye were going to do surgery if needed because they thought I had a possible bowel perforation but I told them about the wrestling incident that I thought caused the pain and now they are discharging me stating that the gallbladder surgery caused the free air to show up.i ahd 2 negative ctscans after the gallbladder surgey and the pain had went away until the abdomaninl injury blow .now I am left to believe I have severe internal damage that isn't being treated because I spoke about the wresting incident.my labs are fine and they say with normal labs then I should be fine.what is causing the free air to be there if there is no bowel perforation and if my labs are fine but I have had sevr=ere pain for 3 weeks after the sudden blow to my abdomen could I still have a bowel perforation?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Bowel perforation is unlikely.

The free air seen is due to surgery which has not absorbed.

i have had 2 ctscans of my abdomen and there were no free air on the results.i hiy my abdomen hard a few weeks ago after those*****scans and the 3rd ct scan which was done 2 dyas ago shows free air.i ahev been in severe pain in my abdomen sinc ei hit my stomach 3 weeks ago.
are you able talk to me personally on the phone if I pay the 50 fee

Sorry, I cannot phone you.

If the previous CT scans did not show any free air; the other way is through the cervix and fallopian tube.

Lastly a tiny leak from intestines which sealed immediately can be the other reason.

i had no abdominal pain after my gallbladder surery was over on aug 3 except for the first 2 weeks which went away.i had a heavy set boyfriend which i was wrestling with 3 weeks ago and i ramed my entire stomach into something and felt immeadite pain .i waited for the pain to go away and adter 2 weeks i went to the walkin clinic and then about a week later to the er.thew gusetion i am asking is could i have a perorated bowel if my labs are normal.i haven't devolped sepsis but the pain is severe at times.i am on pain mangment for my hip which has helped the abdomanil pain.

Investigations would have been abnormal if there was perforation.

You may consider accepting premium service.

why do i need the premium service?i ahd wanted to pay the 50 dollars so i could ask more gusetions on the phone but i paid for the discussion and i usauly get unlimited gusetions within reason on the discussion.are you saying that if i had a ruptured bowel or peforation my labs would be abnormal?if the ct of the abdomen was negative for free air 2 times after my gallbladder surgery and then 2 weeks prior to my ct scan of my abdomen 2 days ago that showed free air after hitting my abdomen severely 3 weeks ago what could the free air be from if it wasn't a perforation?
i appreciate your time and have emailed you many times.i asked for you help directly since you have helped in the past.can ask more gustions now please

Yes, lab would be abnormal if there is perforation.

I mentioned before;

the other way of free air is through the cervix and fallopian tube.

A positive rating would be appreciated.

i am confused about what you menat by the cervix and fallaipian tube.they found free air on my ct scan that was not thereafter my surgery on my last 2 ct scans.after that blunt trauma injury to my abdomen 3 weeks ago the ct was done a fw days ago and there is now free air found on the ct scan.if there is not a bowel perforation then what can the free air be caused from?
also you said a tiny leak from the intestines that sealed immeadily could be the reason.but if i tiny leak from the instines sealed after the blunt injury woud it stll be causing pain now.i have very very very severe abdominal pain that occurs often and wasn't there before i wresteled with my byfriend 3 weeks ago.i have normal labs but the pain is unbearable at time.theonly reason i can endure it is that i am on pain medicine for my hip painmangemtn.i know something inside my abdomen is sevrly injure form ther abdominal blow i just don't know what it is or how to get help.
can I ask you more gusetions om this disciussion please
i ahd more discussion gusetions.i thought we were allowed to ask as many gusaetions within reason before ending discuscusion.i used to ask more gusetions and now i am unable to.i only had afew more to ask.i use a lot of time on this site to ask gusetions and usuly get a little more time on the discussion page.may i please ask a few more gustions please
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor