Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have terribly brittle fingernails. Is there anything I can…

Customer Question
I have terribly brittle...

I have terribly brittle fingernails. Is there anything I can do to strengthen them.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have not seen a doctor. I am taking B/P meds, restless leg med, and some meds for arthritis. I can go and get the names of them if you need them

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No I'm not allergic to anything. Wait a minute and I'll get the names of the meds.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take Meloxicam, Pramipexole,Gabapentin, Triamterene, Tramadol and a 1 a day vitamin and Calcium. I don't think there's anything else in my medical history that would be relevant. This is a fairly recent condition.....maybe the last 8 months

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Brittle nails can occur due to;

1) dermatological and systemic diseases,

2) nutritional deficiencies,

3) drugs/medication

Environmental and occupational factors that produce progressive dehydration of the nail plate have an important role in nail brittleness. Treatment of brittle nails is;

1) Prevent any recurrent injuries.

2) Vitamin E

3) Biotin,

4) Amino acids,

5) Omega 3.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

What would you suggest I take? or do?
If you would just give me some suggestions by email, I would appreciate it.

Site administration does not share the customer email with experts. So we need to communicate here on this page.

You may start oral Vitamin E, biotin and Omega 3; all of these are over the counter (without prescription).

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you, ***** ***** do that.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor