Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I hace had chronic gastritus for 2 years now,just noted a…

Customer Question
I hace had chronic gastritus...
I hace had chronic gastritus for 2 years now,just noted a black stool with blood in it,i work remotely and have another week togo before i fly home to see a doctor,ehat could it be and what should i do
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the presence of black stool indicates that you are actively bleeding in the stomach. Blood from the stomach on passing through the intestines turns black and that is why you are having black stools. Now this is an indication to get evaluated as soon as possible because if the bleeding is left untreated it can continue to occur and lead to severe blood loss which in turn can cause low blood pressure, drowsiness, shortness of breath, severe anemia and even organ damage in severe cases. Secondly, the fresh red blood can be due to a couple of reasons, the first one is that you also have a cause in the lower intestines like hemorrhoids which is causing the bleeding and if that is the case that can be treated relatively easily with local application of lidocaine and hemorrhoid gel. Now The other possibility is that it could be coming from the stomach, when there is a large amount of bleeding in the stomach it passes rapidly through the intestine and does not change its color and appears as red in color.

In either case the above has to be treated with high dose medications like omeprazole and also with the help of a UPPER GI endoscopy to determine if there is an ulcer which may be bleeding. Right now what you can do is to use 80 mg of OTC prilosec immediately and then follow that up with atleast 40 mg once a day or if the black stool persists then 40 mg twice a day for two days then come down to 40 mg once a day.

Ideally you should have this evaluated though .Also try to drink as much water as possible along with electrolyte rich fluids. The other causes for black colored stool can be iron supplements, use of black berries and also black licorice.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.