Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

For the last couple of months my right breast has been quite…

Customer Question
For the last couple...

For the last couple of months my right breast has been quite painful especially when I wake up in the morning. I am 47 years old. is this anything to worry about?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

For a few months now! after sleeping when I wake up I feel it.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had a few melanoma's removed, and on medications for mental illness.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Pain in breast is likely to be mastalgia. Following is helpful;

1) A well-fitting sports brassiere

2) Relaxation therapy if anxiety is associated

3) Decrease the caffeine intake

4) A low fat diet has been proven to result in a reduction in hormones such as prolactin, believed to be implemented in the cause of mastalgia.

5) Exercise also lowers circulating estrogen levels and this may also be another simple lifestyle modification worth considering.

6) Medications; if significant pain danazol, bromocriptine and tamoxifen are the medications worth considering by your doctor.

You may also consider a mammogram or magnetic resonance mammogram (MRM) for the evaluation, especially if the pain is moderate to severe.

Mastalgia is usually benign, and can be associated with following:

a) premenstrual syndrome,

b) fibrocystic breast disease,

c) psychologic disturbance

d) breast cancer (rare).

Chest wall conditions, like Tietzie syndrome, may present as mastalgia. Please read abut it;

http://www.medicinenet.com/costochondritis_and_tietze_syndrome/article.htm

Lisuride maleate is a new agent recently studied for the treatment. Vitamin E and evening primrose oil also can help you.

There are also other conditions which can cause breast pain;

1) Gastroesophageal reflux disease / acid reflux. Upper GI endoscopy would diagnose it.

2) Pinched nerves in neck; an MRI of neck would be advised.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl