Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Band is 77, he had a stroke 2 years ago. He takes Eliquois…

Customer Question
Band is 77, he...

Band is 77, he had a stroke 2 years ago. He takes Eliquois for Blood thinner. Tonight he said his left arm hurts and I looked at it, it scared me there was some bumps..so I know there has been a couple of times we have been late with that pill. Also he takes it twice. Do you think we need to go to the ER?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Just where I thought it could be a clot.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Otherthn he ha seizure 1 year after the stroke and has been on seizure meds since.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/24/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 10 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about the health situation of Band you have described above. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I am almost done with my typing I will follow up with you very soon. Best Regards!

Once again I am sorry to hear he has developed some bumps in the left arm which has been hurting him too, and you are concerned whether these could be secondary to blood clots and whether it is necessary to go to the ER

I see he is on blood thinner Eliquis but he had been late in taking this pill couple of times

So your concern is right, if he has not taken this blood thinner as it was prescribed to him then there is indeed a possibility he is now developing some clots now

If these bumps are due to clots then this must be clots developing in the veins. Clots may develop inside arteries too but such clots are unlikely to cause bumps or localized swellings in the arms like this, so these could be clots within the veins, and this occurs due to blood not sufficiently thinned, and this causes the formation of venous blood clots. If this is not appropriately managed then the clots can get bigger and there can be other complications too, and also if the blood is not adequately thinned then there is some risk of developing new strokes too so this issue need to be addressed asap

Another possibility is, he may be developing localized bleeding under the skin. If he has not taken the eliquis as prescribed then it appears the blood is under-thinned but it is still more thinned than his usual baseline (if he were not on any blood thinner) – so he still has a risk for developing bleeding, and the bumps can be due to bleeding too. A bleeding under the skin can cause pain too. So this is another possibility to consider. This is also a serious issue because if the bleeding is not treated quickly it can progress and cause more bleeding and more complications

So he needs a thorough and quick evaluation now, preferably in the ER

Once again to your main question, yes this could be development of blood clots (or alternatively there is a possibility this is some bleeding under the skin too) but one or otherway this needs to diagnosed and treated asap, in this regard it is better if you guys visit the ER so that he will receive a thorough clinical examination and investigations and then gets appropriate treatments too to resolve this health issue asap.

Please see this health situation can be diagnosed and treated successfully, so please not to be scared.

Wishing Band a quick & complete recovery!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, I also want to add this to my above note - please see the presence of bumps and pain etc in the arm do not automatically indicate this is related to blood clots, or bleeding, or some kind of complication related to the blood thinner, this could be some other health issue unrelated to the blood thinner too, however if possible it is better to get this evaluated & investigated in the ER asap - so that a precise diagnosis can be made and appropriate treatments can be instituted at the earliest to achieve the best results/best outcome!

Wishing all the very best!

Best Regards!