Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife was admitted through the ER at a local hospital a…

Customer Question
My wife was admitted...

My wife was admitted through the ER at a local hospital a few days ago. She spent a little over 48 hrs in the hospital. They ran multiple blood workups, a CT scan, an echo cardiogram, an MRI first without contrast dye, then with. They also took x-rays. She had an ultrasound with dye three years ago that was fine. She was hooked to a heart monitor the entire time that she was there. Her heart rate is always low but instead of upper forties to low fifties, it was low to mid-forties. All of the test results were fine. The reason for the ER visit was that she had felt light headed and passed out in the morning and continued to feel bad until she felt the need to call me at work in the afternoon. When I brought her home last night, she continued to feel light headed with a feeling that her heart was pounding or racing at times. She had symptoms off and on all day today. A few minutes ago, she had the symptoms again and they were the worst she has had today. Her neck, jaw and shoulder muscles have been very tight. For the last 2-3 weeks she has had bad pain in her left abdomen all the way into her groin. In the ER they did an ultra sound of the left abdomen that showed nothing wrong. For the last three or four days the abdominal pain has lessened but is still there. We have no idea what has caused either problem. Also, she had a complete hysterectomy 32 years ago so that eliminates some possibilities. Finally, I think, she suffers from IBS. Where should we start looking at this point?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Her dad had a heart attack late in life and died from congestive heart failure when he was 83. Her health has generally been good. She is overweight but has lost close to 30 lbs. She has high blood pressure which is under control with meds. They took her off antenol in the hospital and her heart rate went up to the low 50s. She is still on Lisinopril. She takes Simvastatin for cholesterol and she has diclofenac and dicyclomine. She has very bad OA in her knees.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing that we can think of now. Thanks.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Following investigations need to be pursued in her case for lightheadedness (and the fainting episode she had);

1) MRI with gadolinium contrast brain

2) Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA) brain

3) Tilt table test

4) Carotid sinus massage

5) Electroencephalography (EEG)

6) Stress cardiac test

7) Total creatine kinase (CK) and heart enzymes;

These should be able to zero down the cause.

For her abdominal pain; this needs hormonal evaluation and Selective testing for plasma peptides such as gastrin, calcitonin, vasoactive intestinal polypeptide, and somatostatin, as well as urine excretion of 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid, metanephrine, or histamine and other tests of endocrine function, such as measurement of thyroid-stimulating hormone and serum thyroxine levels or an adrenocorticotropin-stimulation test for adrenal insufficiency.

These will hopefully clinch the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl