Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have lost my ability to swallow foods. i have to have

Customer Question
I have lost my...

I have lost my ability to swallow foods. i have to have bogus feeding my tube. will i ever be able to swallow foods again? i am 76 yrs old and just recently lost my ability to swallow. i went to the hospital because i was dehydratd abd they fund that my left lung was filled with infectin and they had to drain it. as a result i am on tube feeding , i have failed swallowing tests twice and have rcently finiahed speech thearpy. i am asking if i ever will be able to swallow feeds again . think i can swallow liquids in moderatuon

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes, i a m yaking many medicatios for parkinson's. i am loking for LIAT.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I ALSO HAVE HYDROXYUREA THAT IS UNDRR COMROL. I TAKE 500 MG CAPSULE 1/DAY, LISIOPRIL , 10 MG Dily; 2/5 mg pf amlodopine,, 50 mg of metroprolo sucibate, 2 blue tablets of carbodopa/levidola 4/day; 25/100odt; 1 ropinirole 1mg 4/day;1 segilone 2/day 1 gapbapentin 2/day

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

For neurophay. 1 pravastatin 1/day 20 mg;1 butrans patch 20 mg 1wk for back pain. i had sonisis beack suefwee a year ago may. i am alergicc to codine. i tak several over the cpounter supplements lke anaspir, 85 mg/daily, 1 3/4 tylenoldaily;1 daily of a nasal decongstatnt, 1 movefree tabley dauly/ calcium eith vit d off 500 mg and a vitm d3 for 500 because i was one diagnosed with a problem,i ytakre coq10gel tab of 200 mg, netagenics ceralin forte ,neurosol and anotherr for [pain in my body.]

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
9/23/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Apparently you have dysphagia

Do you know why? did they tell you?

And what does your doctor say about swallowing and improvement?

i have a problem with moving sometimes but not all the time. i don't remember if they said that i have displaysia or not. the speech therapist said there was a good chance that i would be able to eat soft foods.
i won't be requesting another expert. i was not aware there was an expense to this question i think i know the answer to my question anyway..
i will pay the $5 or th minimum amount.
no, thank you. another expert won't have an answer either.
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you have lost your ability to swallow foods

you need more testing like a brain MRI scan and an upper endoscopy scope procedure by GI to check for blockage or narrowing of your esophagus.

you may need to have your esophagus dilated.

you may benefit from a barium swallow study to see where the liquid is going when you try to swallow. it could be going into your lungs if your epiglottis isn't working correctly.

you may benefit from swallow therapy which could help strengthen your swallowing muscles

let me know if you have questions

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician