Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Last night I sneezed while I was eating. It feels like food…

Customer Question
Last night I sneezed...

Last night I sneezed while I was eating. It feels like food became lodge between my windpipe and esophagus. I can breathe and swallow food and liquids. I tried coughing it out, but nothing happened. Will the food i am 36 with a healthy immune system.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Just since the event happened last night at dinner. Its a cough because of slight discomfort. Not a mandatory cough

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/23/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

There is nothing much to worry about. The food does not actually get lodged in your pipes rather it hits your wind pipe which is very sensitive area making you cough so that any particle inside wind pipe can get out. As far as you have no difficulty in breathing or swallowing there is nothing at all to worry about.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

I have an issue when swallowing that makes it easy for me to aspirate. I know this also happens to elderly people and they can easily inhale food which can lead to pneumonia.
No i dont want a call. I just paid 40 bucks for you to tell me something i know is untrue.

Thanks for the reply.

In case you have inhaled any food particle you would have problem in breathing as well. So if you think you have inhaled anything better get an examination by a doctor to rule out anything abnormal on chest examination.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.