Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had pain on the right side of my right leg in the…

I have had pain...

I have had pain on the right side of my right leg in the knee area for about 2 to 3 months. My doctor said I pulled something. Nothing seems to help. I'm 61 and have had type 2 diabetes for about 15 years. I've taken pills, done rubs, hot and cold treatments and those little electrical shock treatments. It's hard to walk now. I've got a call into my PCP but haven't heard back yet. I'm afraid it some more than pulling something. Can you advise?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take meds for blood pressure, insulin, depression, cholesrol (sp ?.) Not allergic to any meds that I know of.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have mild liver disease caused by diabetes.

9/23/2017

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Were any investigations like MRI done?

Have you tried physical therapy?

Do you have early morning stiffness in knee?

no
no
yes
Should a MRI be done?

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Yes, MRI should be done.

This pain can have many origins; joint, ligaments, cartilage, bursa, tendons (or any combination).

Following should help you;

1) Physical therapy.

2) Deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis / phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation: these are done at physical therapy center.

3) Steroid shot.

Early morning stiffness point to knee osteoarthritis.

Following measures would be helpful in the knee arthritis;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

3) Acupuncture

Thank you

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl